Comparative Politics, Comparative Public Administration, Institution Theory, Governance in Multi-Level Systems, European Integration.
- 1984-1988, studied at the University for Applied Sciences (Public Administration) in Ludwigsburg.
- 1988-1991, studied in the Faculty of Administrative Science at the University of Konstanz.
- 1992-1994, Research Fellow at the University of Bielefeld.
- 1994, Doctorate at the University of Bielefeld.
- 1994-1995, Guest Scientific Researcher at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne.
- 1995-1998, Research Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence.
- March 1998 - September 2000, Research Fellow at the Max Planck Project Group in Bonn.
- Since October 2000, Professor at the Universität Jena, European Studies