regulatory economics, competition policy, industrial organization, law and economics, history of economic institutions, evolutionary economics
- Since 2011: Professor of Economics, University of Cologne, Germany;
Director, Institute for Energy Economics at the University of Cologne
- 2007–2010: Professor of Regulatory Economics, WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, Vallendar, Germany
- 2004–2007: Senior Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, Bonn
- 1999: Dissertation “Three Essays on the Theory of the Firm”, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Georg Nöldeke.
- 1997-1999: Research and Teaching Assistant, Economic Theory, Prof. Dr. Georg Nöldeke, University of Basle.
- 1995 – 1999: Doctoral Studies in Economics at the University of Bonn, London School of Economics, and University of Basle.
- 1989-1995: Studies of Economics, Political Science and Modern History, University of Tübingen. Diploma in Economics, Diploma Thesis on “Network Externalities”, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Wiegard. 1994: M.A. in Modern History, University of Tübingen.
- 2002-2004: Senior Manager, Strategic Planning and Portfolio-Management, Deutsche Telekom AG, Group Headquarter.
- 2000-2002: Consultant, Utilities and Service Industries Practice, Arthur D. Little International Inc., Düsseldorf.
- 1999-2000: Research Staff, German Monopolies Commission, Bonn.