I am interested in understanding the processes involved in human cooperative decision-making. In particular, I apply theory and methods from economics, social psychology and evolutionary biology to investigate: (a) the relation between ingroup favoritism and reputation-based cooperation, (b) the predictive power of different psychological mechanisms (e.g. reciprocity, conformity) in promoting cooperation, and (c) cross-cultural differences in intergroup discrimination in trust and cooperation.
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., Yamagishi, T., & Liu, J. H. (2018, online first). Reply to De Dreu: Shared partner nationality promotes ingroup favoritism in cooperation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. [Link]
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., Yamagishi, T., & Liu, J. H. (2017). Parochial Trust and Cooperation Across 17 Societies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 114(8), 12702-127707. [Link]
- Romano, A. & Balliet, D. (2017). Reciprocity outperforms conformity to promote cooperation. Psychological Science, 28(10), 1490–1502 [Link]
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., & Wu, J. (2017). Unbounded Indirect Reciprocity: Is Reputation-Based Cooperation Bounded by Group Membership? Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 71, 59-67.
- Romano A., Mosso, C.O., and Merlone U. (2016). The Role of Incomplete Information and Others’ Choice in Reducing Traffic: a Pilot Study. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 135.
- Romano A., Merlone U., Mosso C. & Spadaro G. (2016). On the role of group size in social dilemmas. Psicologia Sociale, 1-13.
- PhD student of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and University of Turin (2014-current).
- Master's degree in mind sciences summa cum laude from the University of Turin (2012-2014).
- Bachelor degree in psychology cum laude from the University of Palermo (2010-2012).
- Faculty Junior Career Award, Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Best dissertation in social psychology award in Italy (for the year 2017-2018). The award is granted by the Italian Association of Psychology (AIP).
- Best Presentation Award, 17th International Conference on Social Dilemmas (2017)