- Matthias Sutter has been appointed member of the scientific advisory board of the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and of the Institute for Advanced Studies (IHS) in Vienna.
- Matthias Sutter is Principal Investigator (PI) in the recently established Excellence Cluster “ECONtribute: Markets & Public Policy”, funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG).
- Matthias Sutter is the recipient of the 2018 Hans Kelsen Prize, which is awarded annually by the University of Cologne. As part of the university's excellence initiative, the prize is given to scientists who have displayed an outstanding research record over the past six years. (Video)
Information about Prof. Sutter’s book "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", second edition published in 2018 by Ecowin, can be found here.
2017: Turkish translation of "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", [Sabrın Keşfi – Yetenek Karşısında Sebatın Zaferi] published by Kaknus.
2016: Chinese translation of "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", published by Academic Press: Beijing.
Publications since 2016 and forthcoming papers
- Linner, R. K., Biroli, P., …, Sutter, M., …, Beauchamp, J. (2019), Genome-wide association analyses of risk tolerance and risky behaviors in over 1 million individuals identify hundreds of loci and shared genetic influences. Nature Genetics, published 14 January 2019.
- Fehr, D., Sutter, M., Gossip and the efficiency of interactions. Games and Economic Behavior, forthcoming.
- Sutter, M., Zoller, C., Glätzle-Rützler, D. (forthcoming 2019), Economic behavior of children and adolescents – A first survey of experimental economics results. European Economic Review, 111: 98-121.
- Balafoutas, L., Fornwagner, H., Sutter, M. (2018), Closing the gender gap in competitiveness through priming, Nature Communications, 9, Article no. 4359.
- Sutter, M., Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P. (2018), Language group differences in time preferences: Evidence from primary school children in a bilingual city, European Economic Review, 106: 21-34.
- Ahn, T. K., Balafoutas, L., Batsaikhan, M., Campos-Ortiz, F., Putterman, L., Sutter, M., Trust and Communication in a Property Rights Dilemma, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 149: 413-433.
- Sutter, M., Feri, F., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Kocher, M., Martinsson, P., Nordblom, K. (2018), Social preferences in childhood and adolescence. A large-scale experiment to estimate primary and secondary motivations. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 146: 16-30.
- Cooper, D. J., Sutter, M. (2018), Endogenous role assignment and team performance. International Economic Review, 59(3): 1547-1569.
- Huber, J., Kirchler, M., Kleinlercher, D., Sutter, M. (2017), Market vs. Residence Principle: Experimental Evidence on the Effects of a Financial Transaction Tax. Economic Journal, 127: F610–F631.
- Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M., Dulleck, U. (2017), How social preferences shape incentives in (experimental) markets for credence goods. Economic Journal, 127: 393-416.
- Balafoutas, L., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2017), Second degree moral hazard in a credence goods market. Economic Journal, 127 (599): 1-18.
- Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2017), The economics of credence goods – A survey of recent lab and field experiments. CESifo Economic Studies, 63(1): 1-23.
- Angerer, S., Dutcher, G., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P., Sutter, M. (2017), Gender differences in discrimination emerge early in life: Evidence from primary school children in a bilingual city. Economics Letters 152: 15-18.
- Balafoutas, L., Sutter, M. (2017), On the nature of guilt aversion: Insights from a new methodology in the dictator game. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance 13(1): 9-15.
- Kerschbamer, R., Neururer, D., Sutter, M. (2016) Insurance coverage of customers induces dishonesty of sellers in markets for credence goods. Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 113, 7454-7458. (Interview mit Prof. Sutter zu dem Paper)
- Balafoutas, L., Brent, D., Sutter, M. (2016) Affirmative action or just discrimination? A study on the endogenous emergence of quotas. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 127: 87-98.
- Czermak, S., Feri, F., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Sutter, M. (2016) How strategic are children and adolescents? Experimental evidence from normal-form games. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 128: 265-285.
- Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P., Sutter, M. (2016) Cooperation and discrimination within and across language borders: Evidence from children in a bilingual city. European Economic Review, 90: 254-264.
- Ahn, T. K., Balafoutas, L., Batsaikhan, M., Campos-Ortiz, F., Sutter, M. (2016) Securing Property Rights: A Dilemma Experiment in Austria, Mexico, Mongolia, South Korea and the United States. Journal of Public Economics, 143: 115-124.
- Kirchler, M., Huber, J., Stefan, M., Sutter, M. (2016), Market design and moral behavior. Management Science, 62(9): 2615-2625.
- Sutter, M., Glätzle-Rützler, Balafoutas, L., Czermak, S. (2016), Canceling out early age gender differences in competition - an analysis of policy interventions. Experimental Economics, 19(2): 412-432.
10 (older) selected publications
- Charness, G., Feri, F., Melendez-Jimenez, M., Sutter, M. (2014), Experimental Games on Networks: Underpinnings of Behavior and Equilibrium Selection. Econometrica 82(5): 1615-1670.
- Lergetporer, P., Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Sutter, M. (2014), Third party punishment increases cooperation in children through (misaligned) expectations and conditional cooperation. PNAS – Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111(19): 6916-6921.
- Balafoutas, L., Beck, A., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2013), What drives taxi drivers? A field experiment on fraud in a market for credence goods. Review of Economic Studies 80(3): 876-891.
- Sutter, M., Kocher, M., Rützler, D., Trautmann, S. (2013), Impatience and uncertainty: Experimental decisions predict adolescents’ field behavior. American Economic Review 103(1): 510-531.
- Charness, G., Sutter, M. (2012), Groups make better self-interested decisions. Journal of Economic Perspectives 26(3): 157-176.
- Balafoutas, L., Sutter, M. (2012), Affirmative action policies promote women and do not harm efficiency in the lab. Science 335(6068): 579-582.
- Dulleck, U., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2011), The economics of credence goods: On the role of liability, verifiability, reputation and competition. American Economic Review 101(2): 526-555.
- Sutter, M., Haigner, S., Kocher, M. (2010), Choosing the stick or the carrot? – Endogenous institutional choice in social dilemma situations. Review of Economic Studies 77(4): 1540-1566.
- Feri, F., Irlenbusch, B., Sutter, M. (2010), Efficiency gains from team-based coordination – Large-scale experimental evidence. American Economic Review 100(4): 1892-1912.
- Sutter, M. (2009), Individual behavior and group membership: Comment. American Economic Review 99(5): 2247-2257.
- Sutter, M., Kocher, M. (2007), Trust and trustworthiness across different age groups. Games and Economic Behavior 59(2): 364-382.
- Evaluating Intergenerational Persistence of Economic Preferences: A Large Scale Experiment with Families in Bangladesh (with Shyamal Chowdhury and Klaus F. Zimmermann). IZA Discussion Paper 11337.
- Measuring Indirect Effects of Unfair Employer Behavior on Worker Productivity – A Field Experiment (with Matthias Heinz, Sabrina Jeworrek, Vanessa Mertins and Heiner Schumacher). November 2017. Preprint 2017/22.
- Where to look for the morals in markets? (with Jürgen Huber, Michael Kirchler and Matthias Stefan). July 2016. IZA Discussion Paper 10105.