2017 Hans Kelsen Prize
Matthias Sutter is the recipient of the 2018 Hans Kelsen Prize, which is awarded annually by the University of Cologne. As part of the university's excellence initiative, the prize is given to scientists who have displayed an outstanding research record over the past six years.
2016 Pater Johannes Schasching SJ Prize
Together with Prof. J. Huber, Prof. M. Kirchler, and Dr. M. Stefan, Prof. Sutter received the Pater Johannes Schasching SJ Prize for Promoting Dialogue between Economy, Ethics and Religion (Pater Johannes Schasching SJ-Preis für die Förderung des Dialogs von Wirtschaft, Ethik und Religion) in November 2016. More information can be found here.
2015 Exeter Prize for Research in Experimental Economics, Decision Theory and Behavioral Economics
Professor Matthias Sutter won the 2015 Exeter Prize for Research in Experimental Economics, Decision Theory and Behavioral Economics. The jury voted unanimously for his paper "Experimental Games on Networks: Underpinnings of Behavior and Equilibrium Selection" (written jointly with Gary Charness, Francesco Feri and Miguel Meléndez Jiménez and published in Econometrica).
Information about Prof. Sutter’s book "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", published in 2014 by Ecowin, can be found here.
2017: Turkish translation of "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", [Sabrın Keşfi – Yetenek Karşısında Sebatın Zaferi] published by Kaknus.
2016: Chinese translation of "Die Entdeckung der Geduld – Ausdauer schlägt Talent", published by Academic Press: Beijing.
Recent Publications and forthcoming papers
- Sutter, M., Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P. (2018), Language group differences in time preferences: Evidence from primary school children in a bilingual city, European Economic Review, 106: 21-34.
- Ahn, T. K., Balafoutas, L., Batsaikhan, M., Campos-Ortiz, F., Putterman, L., Sutter, M., Trust and Communication in a Property Rights Dilemma, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 149: 413-433.
- Sutter, M., Feri, F., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Kocher, M., Martinsson, P., Nordblom, K. (2018), Social preferences in childhood and adolescence. A large-scale experiment to estimate primary and secondary motivations. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 146: 16-30.
- Cooper, D. J., Sutter, M. (2017), Endogenous role assignment and team performance. International Economic Review, 146: 16-30.
- Huber, J., Kirchler, M., Kleinlercher, D., Sutter, M. (2017), Market vs. Residence Principle: Experimental Evidence on the Effects of a Financial Transaction Tax. Economic Journal, 127: F610–F631.
- Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M., Dulleck, U. (2017), How social preferences shape incentives in (experimental) markets for credence goods. Economic Journal, 127: 393-416.
- Balafoutas, L., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2017), Second degree moral hazard in a credence goods market. Economic Journal, 127 (599): 1-18.
- Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2017), The economics of credence goods – A survey of recent lab and field experiments. CESifo Economic Studies, 63(1): 1-23.
- Angerer, S., Dutcher, G., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P., Sutter, M. (2017), Gender differences in discrimination emerge early in life: Evidence from primary school children in a bilingual city. Economics Letters 152: 15-18.
- Balafoutas, L., Sutter, M. (2017), On the nature of guilt aversion: Insights from a new methodology in the dictator game. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance 13(1): 9-15.
- Kerschbamer, R., Neururer, D., Sutter, M. (2016) Insurance coverage of customers induces dishonesty of sellers in markets for credence goods. Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 113, 7454-7458. (Interview mit Prof. Sutter zu dem Paper)
- Balafoutas, L., Brent, D., Sutter, M. (2016) Affirmative action or just discrimination? A study on the endogenous emergence of quotas. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 127: 87-98.
- Czermak, S., Feri, F., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Sutter, M. (2016) How strategic are children and adolescents? Experimental evidence from normal-form games. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 128: 265-285.
- Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Lergetporer, P., Sutter, M. (2016) Cooperation and discrimination within and across language borders: Evidence from children in a bilingual city. European Economic Review, 90: 254-264.
- Ahn, T. K., Balafoutas, L., Batsaikhan, M., Campos-Ortiz, F., Sutter, M. (2016) Securing Property Rights: A Dilemma Experiment in Austria, Mexico, Mongolia, South Korea and the United States. Journal of Public Economics, 143: 115-124.
- Kirchler, M., Huber, J., Stefan, M., Sutter, M. (2016), Market design and moral behavior. Management Science, 62(9): 2615-2625.
- Sutter, M., Glätzle-Rützler, Balafoutas, L., Czermak, S. (2016), Canceling out early age gender differences in competition - an analysis of policy interventions. Experimental Economics, 19(2): 412-432.
10 selected publications
- Charness, G., Feri, F., Melendez-Jimenez, M., Sutter, M. (2014), Experimental Games on Networks: Underpinnings of Behavior and Equilibrium Selection. Econometrica 82(5): 1615-1670.
- Lergetporer, P., Angerer, S., Glätzle-Rützler, D., Sutter, M. (2014), Third party punishment increases cooperation in children through (misaligned) expectations and conditional cooperation. PNAS – Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111(19): 6916-6921.
- Balafoutas, L., Beck, A., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2013), What drives taxi drivers? A field experiment on fraud in a market for credence goods. Review of Economic Studies 80(3): 876-891.
- Sutter, M., Kocher, M., Rützler, D., Trautmann, S. (2013), Impatience and uncertainty: Experimental decisions predict adolescents’ field behavior. American Economic Review 103(1): 510-531.
- Charness, G., Sutter, M. (2012), Groups make better self-interested decisions. Journal of Economic Perspectives 26(3): 157-176.
- Balafoutas, L., Sutter, M. (2012), Affirmative action policies promote women and do not harm efficiency in the lab. Science 335(6068): 579-582.
- Dulleck, U., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2011), The economics of credence goods: On the role of liability, verifiability, reputation and competition. American Economic Review 101(2): 526-555.
- Sutter, M., Haigner, S., Kocher, M. (2010), Choosing the stick or the carrot? – Endogenous institutional choice in social dilemma situations. Review of Economic Studies 77(4): 1540-1566.
- Feri, F., Irlenbusch, B., Sutter, M. (2010), Efficiency gains from team-based coordination – Large-scale experimental evidence. American Economic Review 100(4): 1892-1912.
- Sutter, M. (2009), Individual behavior and group membership: Comment. American Economic Review 99(5): 2247-2257.
- Sutter, M., Kocher, M. (2007), Trust and trustworthiness across different age groups. Games and Economic Behavior 59(2): 364-382.
- Measuring Indirect Effects of Unfair Employer Behavior on Worker Productivity – A Field Experiment (with Matthias Heinz, Sabrina Jeworrek, Vanessa Mertins and Heiner Schumacher). November 2017. Preprint 2017/22.
- How uncertainty and ambiguity in tournaments affect gender differences in competitive behavior (with Loukas Balafoutas and Brent J. Davis). September 2017. Preprint 2017/18.
- Where to look for the morals in markets? (with Jürgen Huber, Michael Kirchler and Matthias Stefan). July 2016. IZA Discussion Paper 10105.
- Gossip and the Efficiency of Interactions (with Dietmar Fehr.) Februar 2016. IZA Discussion Paper 9704.
- Cooperation and Discrimination Within and Across Language Borders: Evidence from Children in a Bilingual City. (with Silvia Angerer, Daniela Glätzle-Rützler and Philipp Lergetporer). May 2015. IZA Discussion Paper 9039.
- The Good, the Bad and the Naive: Do Fair Prices Signal Good Types or Do They Induce Good Behaviour? (with Uwe Dulleck, David Johnston and Rudolf Kerschbamer). April 2012. IZA Discussion Paper 6491.
- Testing a forgotten aspect of Akerlof's gift exchange hypothesis: Relational contracts with individual and uniform wages. (with Martin Kocher and Wolfgang Luhan). February 2012. IZA Discussion Paper 6415.